DIY Vitamin C Serum is a great way to boost collagen production and tighten and lighten the skin tone. Vitamin C is an antioxidant, that is why this ingredient is so much needed in your DIY serum to protect skin cells from damaging free radicals caused by UV exposure. A great “side-effect” of vitamin C is that it helps to lighten hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
Speaking of dark spots, we have already discussed
- the best essential and carrier oils to get rid of dark spots and
- the best skin whitening DIY face masks to get rid of hyperpigmentation.
But today we will discuss how to create your own Vitamin C face serum.
Here is why Vitamin C can be your next go-to ingredient for the DIY face masks and toners:
- Vitamin C helps to reduce hyperpigmentation and the appearance of dark spots
- Reduces wrinkles 
- Protects collagen and increases production
- Helps protect against sun damage 
Vitamin C Face Serum – Top 3 DIY Recipes
Aloe Vera & Vitamin C Serum – the Basic Recipe
The most popular form of vitamin C serums is water soluble. Water soluble form of vitamin C is absorbed faster and penetrates into the deeper layers of the skin, then fat soluble forms.
To make your own water soluble face serum with Vitamin C you will need only few ingredients:
- L-ascorbic acid powder
- vegetable glycerin (can be replaced with aloe vera gel)
- distilled water or hydrolat
- dark glass container
How to prepare:
- Take all the ingredients in equal proportions, for example, 2 teaspoons of each ingredient
- First combine water and ascorbic, the acid crystals must completely dissolve in water
- Stir with a plastic or glass spatula, avoid metal spoons or spatulas as they may cause Vitamin C oxidation
- Add vegetable glycerin or aloe vera gel
- Mix well till the mixture becomes completely transparent. Poure it into a dark glass bottle.
- Store the serum it in the refrigerator, but do not prepare too much of the mixture at once as it may get oxidated after one week.
- If the mixture has changed its color, even slightly, you should not stop using it and prepare the new portion of the serum
Baking Soda and Vitamin C Serum
Making your own DIY Vitamin C serum isn’t just about mixing some powder with water. You need to mix them in a way that gives Vitamin C the possibility to penetrate your skin and work efficiently.
This recipe is amazing, since it is using a scientific approach to measuring PH-level and making sure Vitamin C stays stable in the solution.
Get the full recipe here.
Vitamin C and Frankincense Essential Oil Face Serum
Wow, this recipe is probably my favorite, because it contains not only Vitamin C powder, Aloe Vera gel but also frankincense essential oil.
Frankincense oil is often used to treat serious dermatological conditions, from eczema to psoriasis to rashes. It is also great for different anti-aging DIY recipes, as it reduces acne inflammation, tightens pores, reduce the appearance of fine lines, lifts the flabby and saggy skin. Here you can read about how to use frankincense oil on the face for an anti-age effect
And the recipe of Vitamin C serum with frankincense essential oil you can get here.
Apply one of these face serums regularily to ensure younger-looking, healthy skin. Vitamin C is especially known for its skin rejuvenating and skin brightening properties, so make use of it!
Opening Photo by Lisa Fotios from Pexels
- Skin anti-aging strategies. Ruta Ganceviciene, Aikaterini I. Liakou, […], and Christos C. Zouboulis
- The Roles of Vitamin C in Skin Health. Juliet M. Pullar, Anitra C. Carr, and Margreet C. M. Vissers
Disclaimer: The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and do not constitute medical advice; the content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.